Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Have consent of all adults living in your household.
- Understand that Poquita Paws Rescue reserves the right to refuse an applicant.
- All animals in the house must be spay or neutered and vaccinations up to date.
- We, generally, do not adopt our little ones to families with children under the age of 7, but each application is on a case by case basis.
- Applications are required prior to visiting any dog. Online applications can be accessed on each dog/puppy posting or click on Application .
- All veterinarian references will be checked. Please call your vet and give them permission to release information.
- If in an apartment or renting a house, landlords will be called to verify that animals are allowed.
- If you own your home, addresses will be verified through county appraisal district.
- Once an application has been received and approved, a telephone interview is conducted. Once the interview is completed, a visit with the dog is scheduled, if applicant is found to be a good match for the desired dog. You will receive information on dog food and recommendations on taking home your new family member. If other dogs are in the home, you may bring them with you at the time of the visit.
- Once a dog is decided upon, a home visit will be conducted. Home visits are conducted for owner assistance and dog safety. Emphasis will be on fence condition and generally safe environment. If you live out of town, you will need to provide us with pictures of your backyard, with emphasis on the fence and gates.
- Once home visit is conducted and conditions meet our standards, the dog or puppy can be picked up and taken home.
- It is required that the new adopter have a collar, identification tag with dog’s name and owner’s phone number, and a leash at the time of adoption.
- An initialed and signed contract is required at the time of adoption. Upon request, a copy of the contract will be sent to you for review.
- At the time of adoption, you will receive a complete medical record of your dog/puppy. It will have information on immunizations, heartworm testing (if old enough), parasite testing, microchipping, spay/neuter, worming, flea and tick control, heartworm prevention and clinical notes from the veterinarian that does the wellness exam.
- We offer a seven-day grace period to receive a full refund of your adoption fee. After that time, refund will be at the discretion of the board of directors.
Why do I have to fill out an application before meeting a dog?
Poquita Paws Rescue care for rescued pets in a private home, not in a shelter setting. We are animal-loving individuals who fit animal rescue into our lives along with many of our other responsibilities.
We rely on an application to learn more about a potential adopter before meeting them personally, especially if you are invited into our home or we bring a pet to your home for a visit. We want to make sure it’s safe before we meet a stranger or welcome a stranger into our home. Using an application also helps us to quickly review multiple inquiries and can aid in determining if the pet and adopter are a match. (E.g. – if the adopter wants an outdoor dog and an organization adopts only to indoor homes, the application can help the organization steer that adopter toward another group that does not have this requirement.)
Why Adopt a Rescued Dog from a foster-home based organization?
The dogs you visit on our website are living in a foster home as loved members of a family. They receive “Tender Loving Care”, temperament testing, and socialization. They snuggle in our laps while we watch TV, go for rides in the car, chase the mop, and happily celebrate our return home, even after just taking out the garbage!!! We are not a shelter. Even though dogs may go to other fosters, every dog comes into our home to becomes a part of our pack at one time or another. We do crate train most fosters for night time only. Otherwise, they just have warm comfy beds, chairs, laps, play in a big yard and learn to be good companions. We are extremely careful in choosing homes for our little ones and very protective. Although in many instances we don’t have a history on the dog’s past or know how it “lost” its home, we do have a sense of its character and needs.
Since our rescue is foster-home based we know each dog’s personality and what you can expect from them. Our rescue dogs have all their veterinary care and most are crate-trained. We are here to answer any questions regarding the dog and will help you solve problems as they come up. Of course we love to hear from our adopted dog families for updates and happy stories as well!